1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do i find a buried sprinkler head?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JDiepstra, Sep 16, 2011.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Does work better thou. My sisters boss runs a pool company and will ask to flush the toilet when locating a septic pipe.
  2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

there are transient 50/60 hertz signals being brodcast around the earth at all times, these signals couple to buried objects and create EMF's. it's the EMF that we locate, so there is always movement of sorts.

electromagnetic fields can be detected by dowsing, passive, direct connection or induction.

dowsing does work but, it may not work for everyone.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

buck_wheat forgot his password, he's been using dowsing rods to find it but he doesn't have enough FAITH.
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

too bad, he has a colorful personality...
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I actually made a set of rods yesterday out of a coat hanger. They worked but not as well as the maunfactured ones I have. Now if they could only help me find my neighbor's cat that I'm supposed to be watching...........
  6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

That comment wasn't racist was it?:laugh:
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick follow up post for anyone who cares..... I wont have time to do this til wednesday after work. Thanks for all the help everyone.
  10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I seem to never have that problem since my ground maintenance crew can find and maul a sprinkler head under concrete.

I have, though, upon occasion simply shoved a fish tape down a lateral, hooked up the 521, and traced to the end painting a series of dots along the way. Then backed up and probed for the head. Tried turning the section valve on first but the head was buried too deep.