1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how do i fix a 4 foot dead grass spot caused by too much 46-0-0 fertilizer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by 2 clowns mowing, Jul 18, 2009.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

it killed the grass do i need to remove sod and dirt and bring in new sod and reseed? please help

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

4 foot ain't that big of a deal. I would rip up some sod from elsewhere to replace it if possible.

Otherwise treat it like any other burnt up dried out spot in midsummer.
    Aerate it by hand, rake in AR and compost.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You can water your way out of it too, the water will help volitize it and dilute it in the area
    If you have a well and it is near it I would remove the soil and replace it

You will need to reseed in the fall or late summer, you definately killed what was there

Sorry about that, "it" happens

4. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

4' = dump a half barrel or like 4 bags of compost or real fine mulch on it rototill it well, rake in some annual rye, it will be good as new in 2 weeks if watered correctly. Then kill it and reseed with permanent vegetation in the early fall. The rye will get ya by for a month or so without a 4'circle of hay in the yard.:)

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

im getting germination in a week or so in these temps using tall fescue only.

6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Water water water. Assuming you applied the urea to the entire yard you might have some other spots pop up so be ready for that. You could probably get away with just a new layer of compost and some seed mixed with rye.