How do I fix a tire with a hole in it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CFB, Jul 16, 2007.

1. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Started leaking a couple weaks ago and now it is out of control so I need to fix it. I've never had to do it before and I don't even know how to take the tire off. I considered just taking the whole mower down to the tire shop and hope they would help me out but I would like to be able to learn how to do it.
  2. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and it is a Bobcat WB if that matters. Thanks.
  3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Undo the lugnuts, take the wheel and tire to a local tire shop (pref. not Wallyworld), then they can fix it and deal with remounting it, that is a major PITA to do on small tires.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Plug it with a plug it works.
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I always just put a tire plug in mine. The few times I have had to do it, it has worked. I have some plugs that are over 2 years old and still holding.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Pluging the tire is a quick and usually effective way to repair a tire. A standard plug kit will run you between $5-10 at walmart, pepboys or autozone.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Tire slime is a GOOD thing. We slime ALL commercial tires as a precaution and if the hole is really large we will plug them also.

Tire slime will fix a 3/16" hole....that's like shooting your tire with a .22 cal pistol.
  8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

if its in the tread plug it...if its in the sidewall you need a new tire, or a tube
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, if it's in the tread, use a plug kit. Cheap, and you don't have to remove the wheel or the tire.
  10. KeepOnCuttin

KeepOnCuttin LawnSite Member

If you have some downtime take it to a big name tire shop, they will use a plug/patch combo and apply in from the inside so it never comes out. Otherwise slap a cheapo plug in it and cross your fingers..