How do I fix this......

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CRUZMISL, Jan 10, 2006.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi All,
    I bought some Galaxy seed blend from seedland last fall and had a local lawn guy overseed my existing bluegrass. Everything came up OK but now I have these strange patches of grass that are clearly not bluegrass. I've attached a picture so you can see what I am talking about. I'm in Michigan so I won't be able to do anything for a few months but I'd like to get some thoughts so I am prepared.

A Lesco is close by so any suggested products available there would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Joe

[​IMG]

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Thanks for the response. Will the pre emergent work or do I need to go the roundup/reseed route? Obviously I'd prefer the former:)

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

(if stumpers correct, i cant really tell from the photo) it's an annual grass, dies on a heavy frost. use a pre-m w/dimension, i have had GREAT results with it.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its too late to try the spot spraying, just get the pre-m down early in the spring.
    Read this it is very detailed
    http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/pubs/AY-41-W.pdf

6. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Thanks guys. Hopefully in the spring the good grass will choke it out with the help of the pre emerg.

What percentage Dimension should I lay down? .10 or .15%?

Thanks again.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'd go with the .1% because you are applying twice a year. Also, raising your mowing height can help too. Cuttting at about 3" will help suppress the poa. If that's what it is. Can't tell from the photo. Cut a chunk out and bring it to you local ag. extension service. They can identifyu it for you. Or, if you are a member at a golf club, bring it to the superintendant. Those guys generally know this stuff cold. Just to warn you, poa annua can be very very hard to get rid of. the killit and reseed route may be the only one.

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

looks like someone walked across the lawn when it was frosted. oops :jester:
    either that or they had round-up shoes.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd go with anderson 18-3-7 .103% in a split application. spring 4# per k and again in the early fall at the same rate. this should take care of it and allow your lawn to thrive. (this is included in a regular fert program) just as a reminder, it you do this dont wast your time on overseeding it wont grow.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that:)