How do I get good help?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Arjo, Jan 17, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you are looking for somebody who can one day take over the business... look to your local vocational schools... both college and high school level. The kids who come out of there will NOT be cheap... however they are worth it if you really want to grow.

2. e-RoK

e-RoK LawnSite Member

I always heard that RB Stout did what Darb mentioned. Everytime I see them out working they are almost all mexican workers. And RB Stout does have all the big accounts here where I live. So maybe they are on to something? I heard they actually house them though. But I also hear (I hear alot) that if they do quit they must return home too. I can't say they don't work hard, because I've watched them and they do.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

then i'd have to listen to my own complaining. twice.:D

4. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I have a friend that owns a lawncare company and he hires all Mexicans. They do not complain about the pay or working conditions. They always work hard and don't stop until he boss tells them to get in the truck. He started them out with $7 per hour and gave them a raise after 6 months. This was based on their performance.

However, he has to pay them out with a 10-99 at the end of the year. Many of them don't even have a SS#. He treats them as a sub-contractor. I am not sure about the laws around hiring Mexicans. Maybe some of you can share your thoughts.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

LOL, at least it's a friend of yours.

Seriously, he's playing with fire. I know a large company the INS showed up at one morning and took 17 "employees" in one swoop. I think the crews were a "little" behind for awhile :)