How do I get my lawn back?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NightScenes, Sep 10, 2006.

1. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Ok guys, my turn to get some advise on the forum. I am currently in the process of putting in a new landscape at my home. I just replaced my irrigation system and it is now up and running as of yesterday. The planting beds should be in within the next couple of weeks. I have great coverage now from this new irrigation system. I live in the central Texas area (Austin area). I have Bermuda grass and weed lawn. My question is this. How do I go about bringing back my Bermuda and get rid of the weeds. Fertilization? Weeding? Should I use a weed and feed? I really don't know much about lawn care so I am turning to you guys.
    Thanks in advance for all of the advise that I am sure to get.

2. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

grassy weeds? broadleaves? or both?
    common bermuda? hybrid?

with the yard all messed up from the trenching machine... now is a perfect time to renovate the lawn. kill it all and start over. youve got enough time this season that sod will take hold (with adequate watering) and be perfect next spring.

however...

the cheaper route (depending on how much your water bill is)
    is to take herbicide to all the weeds and overseed the lawn. im a fan of the "instant lawn" that sod provides but understand its not financially feasable for everyone. if you act now you do have enough time left this season for seed to take hold also but youve got to get busy. MSMA the grassy weeds three times, seven days apart. one app of a broadleaf control should work.

if you are going to go with overseeding then shy away from any pre-emergent herbicides for now but if sod is your answer then NOW is the time to get the pre-m down. it will help prevent the round of cool season weeds such as henbit, poa-annua, rescue grass, and others. its oft sold as "crabgrass preventer" in the spring but works in the fall too for these other weeds. im already applying simazine to my customers lawns for this.

since you have a spinkler system, if you do decide to go with the overseeding, you may consider calling someone in the biz that does hydromulching in your area. cheaper than sod and less of a headache in the long run.

hope this helps.

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Only you can determine if the there is enough grass to reestablish the lawn. If you think there is, then fertilize now with Scotts Southern Turf Builder and irrigate regularly watering at least 1/2" per watering - on consecutive days. Let it dry out for 3 days, water again for 2 days.

Bermuda likes water and fertilization. Fertilize again in about a month with 21-0-0 Ammonium sulfate.

Spot spray the weeds. I'll bet it's mostly grassy weeds (dallisgrass) you have. Use MSMA, but you'll have to live with the brown spots.

4. NightScenes

Thanks guys. I can't do sod. The irrigation and landscaping is costing me about 15k already, and I am getting a really good deal at that. My water is coming out of the lake so that is not an issue. I can water all I want. Scotts Southern Turf Builder, OK I will pick some up. MSMA? What is this. Do I spot use Round up? Should I post some pics?

Thanks for the help,

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes please post pics. It will help in evaluating your lawns condition.

6. NightScenes

OK, here are a few shots of my weed infested lawn.

lawn1.jpg

lawn2.jpg

lawn3.jpg

7. sheshovel

A little farther away please so that I can see what the lawn looks like overall?

8. NightScenes

OK She, It'll have to be tomorrow since it's dark now.

9. sheshovel

Right now I see soil compaction and that needs to be addressed first. Kill, harley rake, remove debri, apply 2" organic compost, rake that in, re-seed thickly is my first suggestion.

10. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

... and mow it lower! Get the bermuda to start spreading. Green Light MSMA can be gotten at Home Depot, but you've got a few broadleafs there too. Can the MSMA. Use "Image with MSMA". It's at Home Depot, too. Be patient. But get the fertilizer down now!