1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I get my mower on this lawn??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I just gave an estimate for lawn maintenace. It's a very high end property in one of the nicest neighborhoods in town. I would really like to get the account and just be in the neighborhood for some exposure. It is a new area for me to be cutting in (if i get the account) The only setback is that there is a very steep, very narrow paved path that leads down to the back yard. The path is wide enough for my 48" Z to fit down, but I'm worried about the incline and also the fact that it is a very woody area; thus a lot of moisture build up on the path. Any suggestions? (yes, this is the only way to get back there)
  2. Palmer Lawn Care

Palmer Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Maine

If the back is small, I would probably just use a 21" just to be safe.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

the back is quite large. took the homeowner 4 hours to do it with a 21'' (not self propelled) mower.

I always found that when I'm going backwards the mower is less touchy and tends not to jerk as much, but I don't like that idea, seeing how it's probably a safety hazzard
  4. Palmer Lawn Care

Palmer Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Well, you could try it mid-day when its the hottest and hopefully the mositure on the path will evaperate.

How steep is the path anyways?
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

You wanted exposure. use the 21" and get 4 hours worth.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

could you give us a picture of the path and incline. Visualization always helps me to picture a solution.
  7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

is there moss or something on the path that makes it hold moisture?
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Do you have a walkbehind, like a 36" you could take down there? I feel as safe with a walkbehind as I do with a 21. If you do not have a walkbehind, it might not be a bad investment for gated yards, or ones with steep hills.

9. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You say it is a PAVED path. Is this blacktop, tar+chip, concrete, brick pavers - what is the paved surface and how roughened or how slick is this paving ?

Is the surface so slippery that it is difficult to walk on safely ?

If you can stand and walk on this pathway safely, your Z will probably have no problem either.
  10. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

Are you worried about flipping because it is steep? If so, can you put some weight on the back of the mower to keep it solidly on the ground until you get down the hill, then take it off and mow?