how do I get out of this one???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLong, Jul 20, 2008.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

I messed up big time.
    I have an older couple that I have done work for for a few years very good people! Well this year they refer me to their son who lives right out side of town. Well while I was bidding the job I was lied to by him many times. first he claimed to have just righ around two acres minus the house buildings and large parking area when in actuallity he has closer to four (weird layout). and he also agreed to fix some of the very rough parts of the lawn (looks like someone at some point seeded it with a plow or something) anyway I mowed it several times at to low of a price and he hasn't fixed the rough stuff yet. how do i get out of this one without offending his parents and their two neighbors all very nice people???
    thanks for any imput *trucewhiteflag*

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Always a difficult situation, try and keep it light-hearted. Tell him you're concerned about the risk of damage to your expensive mower and that you're be happier not to cut the rough area until it's repaired. But, you can't knock the price because of the travelling costs. If he doesn't buy it tell him you would prefere not to do his lawns.
    Good luck Phil

3. ScagGrassGuy1978

ScagGrassGuy1978 LawnSite Member

Tell him to fix the lawn or the price goes up.
    If it were me Id ask for a check, get paid, deposit it, then tell him if the lawn is not fixed by "whatever date you set" the lawn goes up to the price"that you set".
    Its an easy fix, The parents are honest thats why they are good people.
    The son obviously fell a bit further from the tree than you thought.
    Id nip it in the bud right then and their when you realized you priced 2 acres for 4.
    Bill

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

He needs to first realize :hammerhead: that he has 4 acres...not 2. That's an extra 87,000+ sq ft!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

We've had this conversation before here on LS concerning referrals...
    One would think these are better customers than just anyone else, but at least in my experience they are no better and no worse, which can start up a sticky situation. Matter of fact I've got to the point referrals don't excite me much, not so much because of the new customer but because of the referrer's relationship.

Now I can not tell you what to do, because what you do is your own business and if it hurts you or if this advice is not right for you then I am sorry because I don't think it's the best answer either.

But...
    If any customer right out lies to me and I believe they knew better and the reason they told said lies is to make me miss my quote the answer unfortunately is very easy: I don't show up and I never say another word about it, but that's just me.
    And it sounds harsh but my attitude is you don't want to play me like that, and it wouldn't be the first time they got me hook + line + sinker but I did see it except it wasn't right then and there but later, like as I'm driving down the road or after I got home, but see it eventually I did (and before the work got started).
    Then it's my judgment, I'm not always right, that is the chance I take.
    But if I feel it ain't right, I won't put up with it.

Also unfortunately it has been known to mean the beginning of the end of the referrers relationship. Not trying to scare you and it doesn't always happen or at least not right away, but that's been my experience so the whole deal doesn't excite me much, I've lost more than a few customers over this very issue over the years but that's just how I do things.

And yes I feel like I stab myself in the foot, so if anyone has a better answer I'm all ears.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

God I hate it when lied too,

Good luck