1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I get rid of bamboo??!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VT MOWER, Jun 3, 2008.

VT MOWER LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I have it sprouting up where I tore it up by the roots, AND IT'S STILL GROWING!! ;) Anyone have some advice to get rid of this??

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know but you better wear some thick leather gloves, that stuff slices skin like nobody's business...
    Down in South America they use machetes but again you have to be real careful with that stuff.
  3. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

i've never tried, but I read sometime ago that it's almost impossible to totally get rid of. Spreads like crazy and grows super fast.
  4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Oh man good luck....Roundup dosn't seem to well in my experance. You can pull the roots all you want. You will always miss some. It takes time and a lot of agravation to get rid of it. Here in NY most of the stronger poisins are banned, so its not easy...Good luck:usflag:
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

bamboo -b- gone
  6. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

if you dont have a lot of it you may try cutting it and brushing full strength round-up on the tips,but you have to cut and brush quick since it will reseal itself fast.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

This is a Joke..... Right ?
  8. TheKingOfLawns

TheKingOfLawns LawnSite Member

I didn't know you could get bamboo in vermont
  9. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

You can try lawn dogg's advice, if that doesn't work try Garlon 4(triclopyr is the active ingredient).

Be sure to wear rubber gloves and use those disposable paint brushes. Best to use within 15 minutes, better at 5 min.
  10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I grew up in the South, so I DO know that it's not really bamboo. Rather, it is one of the Polygonums. It's AKA as Japanese knotweed - and is hard to be rid of. I find that 4 or 5 apps of legally (but strongly) mixed Glyphosate will do the trick.

As simple as it would be to try and get around (off-label) "cut & paint" by spraying full strength over a newly-cut area, I'd advise against it - that would be illegal enough to be a real potential legal problem for you.