1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do I get rid of broad leaf grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by HABU, Apr 28, 2008.

1. HABU

HABU LawnSite Member

I have the possibility of picking up a new account if I can get rid of the broadleaf.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a miracle cure one shot treatment to eliminate this stuff.

Obviously the worst case is R&R the lawn. They weren't real crazy about spot killing but I told them that may be what it comes down to.

What is my best bet to get rid of all the undesirable broadleaf grass and leave the desirable behind?

2. PropServ

PropServ LawnSite Member

Roundup! I bought a paint roller lookin' thing called the Sideswipe Pro. You put your glyphosate mixture in the handle and down on the end there is a paint roller that slowly gets wetted with the mix. You let the grass grow out so the unwanted plants are above the height of the desirable grass and you wave this thing along the tips of the tall blades. Supposedly kills the tall target grass. The jury is still out on the thing because A)It drips a little bit when carrying (not good), and B)Not all undesirable grasses are taller. I have some junk grass up by the street in my front yard and I'm trying some of this stuff to get rid of it without smokin the whole area and starting over.
  3. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great results with Trimec Classic

4. HABU

HABU LawnSite Member

5. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

Correct.... I read the thread quickly.... Thought he was asking about broadleaf weeds.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

That is not a broadleaf weed either.
  7. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

I have the same problem as well. What kind of rye grass seed is that ? They seem to grow in the shaded areas under trees mostly.

I am looking to overseed the area with fescue and KBG and once they germinate I will rid the broadleaf.