How Do I Get Rid Of Mesquite, Cactus, etc.?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by steve45, Oct 30, 2005.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Living in the warm, dry Southwest, I am blessed with desert foilage. Cactus & mesquite are troublesome, and the roots go very deep. I cut them to, or below, ground level, but they come back each year.

Anybody have any thoughts on getting rid of these pesky things for good?

Also, I've got several dogs and want to avoid any chemicals that might be harmful to them.

Thanks!

2. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

On the Mesquites you have to dig up the root ball or nut as some call it.
    I use a back hoe attachment on the back of my tractor and dig them up, I know the back hoe is expensive but it works and you don't want to use chemicals.
    If your just cutting them flush then they will come back for years.
    Same with the cactus/prickley pear, you have to remove the roots and whatever you do "DO NOT" mow cactus this will just spread them like the plague. I use a shovel for cactus, chemicals take a very long time to work and you need a liscense for the stuff that works on cactus.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! I didn't know you could dig deep enough to get a mesquite out, I thought the tap root went down many feet. I've seen areas that have been sprayed successfully, but a crop duster would have a tough time getting into my yard!

I wouldn't mow a cactus, but I've thought about taking a blade-equipped trimmer to the bottom of the plant to cut it off and get room to work, then breaking it up with a shovel or pick. We have primarily Prickly Pear cactus, but there are also a few other types. Some of these things are about 6' x 15' and 4-5 feet high.