How do I get this mower off the truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I just ordered a little 32" WB. They said the truck does not have a lift gate and I need to provide a way to get it off the truck. I told the customer rep. that I would figure something out. Any suggestions?

2. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

forklift or you and about 3 able-bodied friends. :)

3. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know how much the mower weighs? You could always get a couple guys to help you unload it by lifting it out of the truck. If that is not an option get a couple of 12ft 2x6's and that should do the trick. Is it coming on a pallet? If so you still might be able to slide it down the boards. If the boards are not long enough you could always use them to slide the mower into the bacck of your truck (if you have one) and then from the bed of your truck onto the ground. Sometimes you can pick up at the carriers terminal were they would have a fork lift to load and unload.

Good Luck.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Usually the carrier has a building, with a dock and fork lifts, I just pick it up with a trailer. Sometimes that reduces your shipping cost too.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A 32" - two guys should be able to lift that out....they aren't that heavy.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you have a trailer...just back it up to his truck and drop the ramps.

7. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

Do you know anyone that has a dock at their business? You might be able to find somewhere that has a dock and ask them if you could use it for $20.

8. Grits

from Florida

Mr. Hess, you are a genius! So simple I didn't even think about it. Thanks!

9. Grits

from Florida

This is what I came up with also. I think the trailer gate should work though.

10. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

If you have any steep hills you can back the pickup up to it, drop the tailgate, and roll it back off maybe even with a small peice of wood if needed.. I loaded a mower in this way once worked but then again you need to have a hill to make it possible. I use 2 2x12's with metal ramp ends (so they dont slide around) when I purchased my 36 out of state.