1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I go about buying yards from another buisness?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joshuea, Nov 11, 2005.

1. joshuea

joshuea LawnSite Member

Just wanted to know how I should go about finding somebody that is wanting to sale there yards to somebody else. Also is this a good idea to buy somebody elses yard, and how do I know that I'm not getting screwed?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

In this area we will not buy another LCO's yard. Reason being is because what if they don't like what you do or are used to??? You can find many other lawns for free if you just advertise or word of mouth. Do great work and the work will come to you...:waving:
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

try, nobody will pay for other accounts here. And if customers would hear about it they would get upset as well. It's best to just give the accounts away or refer someone else

I had a guy about 6 years ago try to sell me accounts. Well, the funny thing is that he just received the accounts FREE the previous year from another LCO. Also the customers found out about it, and told the guy that they would find someone else
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

About the ONLY way I can see doing this is not like you are thinking (because you're looking) but if per CHANCE you run into someone one day who just happens to want to sell their accounts for whatever reason, at that point you might offer them 20-40 (maybe 60) dollars each or thereabouts BUT :

Yes you will have the problem with the customers... I know I talk on this forum like customers are nothing somedays but that's really not the way it is. The customer is an individual and I speak for myself when I say that NO business wants to treat customers like a number because they will lose their business in a flash.
    So here again, now you have to go from house to house (yes, customer by customer) and have the guy introduce you to them and you'll spend anywhere from 5 to 20 or 30 minutes at each place and everyone walks through the procedure and even then you will only retain maybe 90 percent right off the bat PLUS you will lose a few in your first year alone...

Meanwhile, nobody is going to WANT to sell accounts for such a cheap rate. Most of us value our customers far HIGHER than 20-40 bucks a piece but unfortunately, it only costs ME 40 dollars/customer to acquire one... If I spend 2 thousand dollars/year in advertising then I have 50 regular customers so why should I pay anymore than that?

Still, it's a tricky situation at best...
    In my first year, my best friend turned over his lawn customers to me as he went into tree work full-time... It went OK but I wouldn't brag about it, and that's with someone I've known for 20-some years... I just can't even fathom taking customers from a stranger when all I have to do is WAIT and do nothing, which forces the stranger to release the customers back into the free market at which point they become anyone's customer (and honestly speaking, that is the best way).
  5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah not a good idea i had a guy try to sell me a run he gave me a very detailed sales pitch 50 customers for 1500 after further investigation all fifty he did once and never wanted to see him again 10 of those customers rang me any way the a hole threatened me for about two weeks and as already mentoined the customers didnt like being bought and sold buying may appear to take the worry out but it is easier to get your own on your terms