How do I go about this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by theguynextdoor, Feb 5, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I've been mowing this lady's lawn nextdoor since I was 12. I do all of the other yardwork and such as well. Since I was a kid, she would just pay me like 10 bucks an hour. Now I'm running a real business and 10 dollars an hour for landscaping won't cut it. I have a truck now, trailor and commercial mower to come this month. How would you guys go about dealing with this? Just explain it to her like I said?

2. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

Absolutely. Tell her it's a business, not a side job anymore.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Better now before the season starts, not to rush you into it but this would give her a chance to consider some alternatives.
    So whenever you're ready, but I think as a customer she deserves at least that much.

4. Wise_A

Wise_A LawnSite Member

I think people like to feel like they are getting a "special deal" or special consideration. When you go to explain to her about your rate increase, explain that your normal rate is 50 dollars or whatever but you'll give it to her for 40. That way, you keep the customer happy and you get your money. Remember, its always cheaper to keep an existing customer than to go find new ones.

5. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i would tell her that one of the reasons you have gotten to this point is with her....

explain that she is a valued customer and you want nothing more then to keep her as a customer..

give her a bit of a discount as she has kept your butt in candy, mall money and maybe even your buisness equitment...

but congrats on making the step, if shes rational she will probably easy pay you most of what you are looking for

10hr to 40hr maybe 10 to 60hr maybe not

She may just hire another lawn boy.....
    If he screws up bale her out once for free

if she still won't pay
    time to move on

i was a lawn boy and the 200$ i made a week back then was huge... i was rich
    as an adult when i went back to these people they wanted to still pay me like the lawn boy

i told them gas isn't 78 cents a gallon anymore....
    i don't ride my bike here dragging my mower behind me
    the same money dosn't work

6. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

if she is like 90 i'd keep doing it - i'd feel like i had to - if she is young and healthy and has a decent income give me her number - but seriously, i guess i'd have to at least double it to 20 an hour - that's a joke too - that's really a tough call - but it probably took you much longer when you were 12 so if you were charging her 30 bucks (three hours) it's concievable you could charge her 60 an hour now and be done in 30 minutes - likewise with the landscaping 10 bucks an hour for a twelve year old with a shovel could easily translate to 100 an hour for a young man with a bobcat - you get the idea

7. petekief

if she is like 90 i'd keep doing it - i'd feel like i had to - if she is young and healthy and has a decent income give me her number - but seriously, i guess i'd have to at least double it to 20 an hour - that's a joke too - that's really a tough call - but it probably took you much longer when you were 12 so if you were charging her 30 bucks (three hours) it's concievable you could charge her 60 an hour now and be done in 30 minutes - likewise with the landscaping 10 bucks an hour for a twelve year old with a shovel could easily translate to 100 an hour for a young man with a bobcat - you get the idea

8. petekief

9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

She's you first (or one of your first) customers. Esp. being right next door, I would keep mowing her lawn for her regular price, but charge her a higher yet still discounted labor rate for other stuff. At least enough to cover your costs. I am sure she will understand a small price increase from $10 an hour lol!