1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do I go about this

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowerdude777, Jan 30, 2010.

1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I have a customer that owes me $100 for 2 months of bi weekly mowing. They still owe me from October and September I keep sending them notices as well as going to there house and talking to them, but they could care less. I have charged them $10 in lat paying fees it is one of my company policy's to charge $5 if you are one month late on paying a bill so I simply doubled it since it was for two bills, they still could care less. I go and offer them a trade (they have an echo pb 403 one of the people who lives was a former LCO and since has moved to Florida and left the blower) they claim they can get it running but it has been sitting in there yard for months. I have also offered a payment plan but they are not interested, so I am at the point where I am considering sending a letter stating that if I am not paid by March 1 2010 that I will be taking them to small claims court, but I think that it is a little extreme over $100. Is there any other alternative of convincing them they need to pay me.

2. FourTrees

FourTrees LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 6

Why send it to small claims that cost time and money (which will only be paid if you win and they choose to pay court demands.)

Give it to a collection agency. Let them hassle the customer.

Prime example of why residential agreements are good. Regarding payment mine says stuff like:

1. Pay on time.

2. Late fees

3. They pay all collection fees.

4. Name of my collection company.

Sure you may go years without having a non payer. But once you get one you realize that you should cover your butt.

3. JCPM

JCPM LawnSite Member

Usually just the threat of a collection agency will do the trick. Especially in this financial market when everything is determined with credit. I had a large retirement home that owed me 5k and told me that they weren't going to pay. As soon as I told them I would just send it to a collection agency, they sent me a check.

4. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take the trade, stick to your guns.

5. mowerdude777

Allright I will make a letter informing them if they do not pay by March 1 2010 it will be sent to a collections agency, hopefuly they will pay before that

6. mowerdude777

They told me that there blower just needs "a petty little spark plug" and that it is worth a lot more then 100 dollars even though no body living there currently can or would use it (they are my neighbors) so I will wait until they realize it is not worth that much and throw it away( no body at that house will ever do any thing about it) so they will throw it away like they do with everything else(I have seen they throw away so much junk that they had overpriced at a yard sale so I would be willing to bet it will eventauly be in the trash anyways

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't let them get away with it and don't accept the blower. A threat of a collection agent or small claims usually gets most people to pay. You must follow through with the threat.

8. mowerdude777

ok I will send a letter informing them I will have a collections agency if I do not get paid by March 1 2010

9. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

say February 1 not march what u smoking

10. mowerdude777

I an just being nice but March 1 is a little early so maybe I will go with February 15