How do I grease Hustler spindles?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rott_dobe, Jul 16, 2004.

1. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

I'm still researching the purchase of my first ZTR. I've finally begun the demo-ing phase and this is a lot more fun than just reading!

My question on the Hustlers deals with the spindles. I don't think there are grease zerks on the spindles, but the literature I have states that the spindles need greasing once per year. This breaks off into a couple questions at this point.

1. I will be using this to mow my personal 2 acre lot and that is all. Should I still grease them once per year, or is that for more commercial use only (like 200 hours a year or something)?

2. What is the procedure to grease them if there are no zerks? Is it a pain to assemble and disassemble the spindles?

I could be way off, and maybe there are zerks....I haven't spent enough time looking at the units in person yet...so if I'm wrong I apologize for the stupid questions!

Thanks!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It depends on which mower your looking at in the Hustler line.
    The Mini Z, Super Mini Z, FasTrak and Mini FasTrak all use an aluminum spindle that does not have a grease fitting on it.
    These units have sealed bearings and do not require greasing at all.
    The Hustler Z and Super Z and our current walk behinds use the same spindle we have used for over 20 years.
    These are ductile cast iron with sealed bearings also, but we do install a grease fitting on these, so they are easily greased.
    When you grease these housings you are simply displacing any moisture that may be present.
    The fitting is to be greased every 500 hours or once a season in a lot of cases.
    Do not over grease these housings, you could possible push a bearing seal in or out and cause premature bearing failure.

Remember we back our spindles with a 3 year warranty.

Hope this helps

Pj

3. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was looking at the Super Z.

I think that's where my confusion began. The only machine I've looked at in person was the MiniZ, and I didn't remember seeing a grease fitting. However, the literature I was reading was for the full-sized Super Z....

Thanks again!

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not a problem, that is why I am here to help.

Pj