How do I handle this without killing my dealer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RB, May 24, 2001.

1. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I'll skip some details to try to be brief because I need some good advice.

This Feb. I leased a Toro ZRT (this is my 2nd year in biz and I wanted to try to get away from bagging everything). The Toro had a new deck and I bought a metal grass catcher (I know what you are saying -- stupid! lol)

At the time of purchase I was debating between the Exmark w/ultra vac and the Toro that I purchased. My dealer promised me that the bag would be available in April. Every week I call and check and they tell me next week.

I don't do many lawns, but I purchased mower for a new account (about 20K per year). The prop. manager reminded me that this account needs to be bagged in certain spots (about 3 acres worth). Today the property manager came out and said if I can't bag it next week he will find a company that can. I spend the next 5 hours mowing w/36 wb w/bag.

This mower only has 20 hours on it and it sit on my trailer most of the time.

QUESTION: How would you handle this w/dealer? I want to tell him taht if the bag is not in my next week I'm returning the mower. Can I do this??

Please help. Thanx.
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried to get a hold of the company. The dealers hands MAY be tied or may not. Maybe the dealer is doing what he can. Tell him you are going to loose this account if something doesn't happen soon, see what he says. Is he willing to find out what's up with the bagger or is he an a$$?
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not without rernin' your credit................and you don't want that messed up!
  4. Why don't you just go to lesco and have them install a jumbo
    metal bagger? Two bolts hold the bracket on to the deck.

You also need to add a bit of angle iron under the deck to
    direct the clippings rearward so the bag will pack tight.

If you don't add the angle iron the bag wont pack tight.
    You can buy the rearwards deflector from a any toro dealer for the
    44 and 52 decks. On my 62" deck there is no need for a deflector.
  5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Since he "promised", I would return the mower, get out of the lease, and go to something you can use - with the same dealer ( he might be more understanding if you express the interest to stay with him ). Convo something like- " I understand you made a promise that was out of your control, however I went with this lease because you promised, now lets make it right and disolve this lease and move to something I can use, I've been extremely tolerate of this situation that has carried on far to long." - Just a thought.
  6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to the company and they it seems like I spoke to the person who works for a person who works for another guys who works right beside the guy who said it is still in production (lol). I can't get a straight answer from Toro's Distributor.

My point is that they promised me that this machine would be able to bag in April. It's now almost June and nothing. I want to return this mower. Am I over reacting?

7. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I feel your pain. I still cant get a bag for my wb. I have tried every dealer in my area and no dice. It is a problem with toro mfg. and not the dealer. My dealer has been on the phone with the factory rep many times and they still dont know when they will be available. I sick of double cutting and blowing the clippings. Today i started a new lawn that just had the beds mulched, I did my best not to shoot grass in those beds and it took an extra 20 min. If i dont get a catcher soon i think i will knit one. Maybe you could double cut that portion (when the prop. mgr is not there) so there are clumps and windrowing- for the mean time. it's worked for me so far and every customer says it looks great. I wish that toro would just give an honest date of arrival-oh well i guess i'll keep on waiting.
  8. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Go to your dealer and be very polite and tell him your
    situation. Tell him nicely that you are not satified
    with him and his business and the promise of the
    grass cather was not being fulfilled,
    that you must find another machine to use and
    tell him that you will be returning the
    mower when you sign papers on your new Exmark
    (or whatever you decide)
    and then wait to see how fast he can move to keep your
    business, if he doesn't move to fast.
    start calling the lease company and toro,
    and don't forget to drop the mower off to him.
    don't take any crap from your dealer but also be
    nice, he has already made his money from the sale
    its all depends if he wants to keep you as a customer..
  9. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

When you signed the lease did the paper work include the order for the bagger system? IF it did, you MAY legally be able to get out of the agreement because of the dealerships failure to live up to their end of the contract (i.e., Breech of Contract).

Are you over reacting? Heck No! Is the commercial account manager that is going to fire you over reacting because you are failing to perform? Again, HECK NO!

Their unfulfilment of a promise is going to cost you an account. I like the idea of "trading" to a different model with the equipment you need at the same dealer. He is a business man, he should understand your dilemma and work with you to get it corrected. No lip service, real work! If that does not work turn him into the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce.

Good Luck and Keep us Posted!
  10. why not just go get a peco bagger? usually most dealers have these things in stock. get one of those, install it yourself. end of story.