how do i hook doubles up to a 36 and 48?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, May 23, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

how do i hook doubles up to my 36in WB gravley and my 48in WB Exmark?

please help. also, try to be detailed because ive never changed a blade before. its been two months, there pretty dull and i need new blades, so i want to put on doubles. what would you recommend? highlifts up top and then standards on the bottom? or highlifts on both (so 2 highlifts per spindle)???

please help

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

"never changed a blade before". Mowing with blades that have been on the mower 2 months.

hmm......So that's the definition of a "premier" landscaper, eh?

Ok, to be very detailed, as per your request.....If you haven't even changed a blade before, maybe you're not ready for doubles. Baby steps!

3. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Look for a kit. I have seen double blade kits before, but not sure where to look. Maybe use a search engine and search for double blade kits or something...

I have changed the blades myself a few times and honestly I am beginning to wonder if its worth the hassal. I hate maintenance and I am starting to just want to take it to the shop for anything under the deck. I don't think I will sharpen my blades myself all season. I'm lazy about that. I have no problems changing the oil and cleaning the filters and keeping stuff greased up and the mower clean though.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

1]Loosen blade bolt and take off bldas.
    2] Put new blades on making an X with the 2 blades.
    3]Tighten bolt.
    4]Cut grass.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you don't need doubles, you just need blades with something that resembles an edge. if you are cutting commercially you need to be changing the blades at least once a week, bare minimum, more in yards with heavy growth or sticks, twigs, etc...

6. varmint345

varmint345 LawnSite Member

I agree with brucec32, it doesn't sound like your ready for doubles if you don't no how to work on your own equipment, and you no doubt need to learn how to mow lawns, (you haven't changed/sharpened the blades in two months.....wow) you may suck your foot right up under the mower along with anything else that may be close by..........good luck, I think your going to need it.

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Premier, if you are serious about cutting grass, try changing the blades at least every day.

8. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

HOLY CR@P... ALMOST SPIT COFFEE ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD!
    THATS HILARIOUS, now i haven't been on this site very long,
    but i've read alot of threads about "us as pro's" and "those damn scrubs"---guess ya never know who is what---ahh the joy of the internet...(be all you WANNA BE)
    now ya got me thinking what an old fart i am...I'VE BEEN IN THIS BIZ. LONGER THAN ALOT OF YOU KIDDIES HAVE BEEN OUT OF DIAPERS. don't mean to offend anyone' but i came here thinking i could learn a thing or two, to better my business.really dont see that comming from a bunch of teenies-running on daddy's money.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your going to make money in this business, you almost HAVE to be mechanically inclined. Oil changes, blade changes, plugs, filters, PM, etc. Not rocket science mechanics, just simple day in day out maintenance.

AND....

If you don't change/sharpen your blades every 10-15 hours of mowing, you really cant provide professional service.

Stick with SHARP, BALANCED, NEW, SINGLE, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM- whoever made your mowers) Blades. You won't believe how nice and efficient you become when you use properly sharpened blades.

Neither of your WB's are likely have the power to run doubles properly anyway.

Good luck.

10. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

HOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLDD UP!!!!! I don't care what anyone on this board says, but I am not about to put NEW blades on every week!!! That would end up costing more than the gas each week. Now I agree that they should be sharpened that often, but new blades??? I don't know about that. Then again my idea of commercial isn't as severe as what most of y'all do...