How do I increase my Water pressure?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by North Ga, Jun 13, 2006.

1. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Heres my situation.I dont have an irrigation system,I use an over the ground oscillating sprinkler to water my beds and lawn.The sprinkler does good EXCEPT when someone else in the house uses water,then the oscillating sprinkler goes from a 9 foot tall sprinkler to about a 5 foot sprinkler from bottom to top.Im on a hill in a subdivision,is that why?

What can I do to increase my water pressure @ my house?
    How much will it cost?
    Is it something I can do myself?

Thanks in advance

2. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a similar problem and found a simple solution. I have to spicets on my house. One towards the front of the house near where the water comes into the house and one in the back which is at the end of the line. The spicet in the front has great pressure while the one in the back has alot less. If you have a similar setup, try the other spicet. I guess you can also try putting in another spicet near the water source.

Another possible solution, which could be a big effort, is to replace your water pipes. If you have 1/2 pipe change it to 3/4. That should fix the problem also but could be a HUGE effort.

I am not a plumber so don't take my word as gospel. The first solution should be easy enough to test out with little cost.

3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

My house in on a hill as well. I don't plan on spending thousands to replace my water pipes to fix the problem. I am going to get a water pressure booster pump. You can get a water pressure gauge at home depot and test your pressure to see how much of a boost you need first.

4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

if you have enough hose, you could run a hose from each pigot and merge them with a wye just before your sprinkler. That would give you max volume at a constant pressure.

Cheap and easy.

5. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Mic,whats a wye?

6. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

"Y" connection...takes 2 sources to 1 output or 1 source to 2 outputs.

they come from any hardware store in the garden hose section.

7. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

You don't mention whether you are on a well, city water or community supplied water system. This makes a difference as to how you can go about increasing your pressure.

8. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Sorry,Im on city water

9. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Gotcha,Thanks.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

larger pipes will only drop your pressure, wying hoses together will not help..pressure is still the same.....and wying 2 -5/8" hoses into 1 -5/8" hose with the same pressure will not increase pressure or volume.

A pressure tank would be the easiest way. It is a tank that has an air bladder in it that creates higher water pressure. I have a 86 gallon one that give me 50-70 PSI on a well. You will have to run the city water into the tank and feed the house from that, there is more to it than that but that is the basics...

Derek