How do I jump start my Exmark???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mshulman, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mshulman

mshulman LawnSite Member

New to this. Bought a zero turn Exmark mower. Can't get the starter to crank. Just once or twice. I hooked up some jumper cables, but don't know how to disable the seat safety switch. Any help is appreciated. 18HP Kohler engine. Battery is under seat, have to tilt seat forward for access.

Thanks.

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have heard, hypothetically speaking, just something off the internet, I of course wouldn't recommend it, completely off the record, you didn't hear this from me... With most seat safeties you can unplug them and simply insert a short wire to make the connection.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Just engage the parking brake. On our machines as long as you have the parking brake on you don't have to be in the seat to start them.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Put levers in neutral, engage brake, if still no-go, you can find the switch and hold it down...

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if you are trying to jump it from a truck you may blow out the batt. and starting system to many amps for such a small system better off to put on a trickle charge for a while

6. lawnmaniac883

Hmmm, maybe safer to pull the battery cables off the mower battery and hook directly to the jumpers?

7. mshulman

mshulman LawnSite Member

Thanks Tvov. I mean hypoethically speaking, if I had created such a short wire and used it, I'm sure it would have worked. Thanks again.

8. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

it will still be to much juice for that small battery will boil it at the very least worst would be it would blow up on you seen it happen with 4-wheelers same battery in lawn equipment. use another lawn mower or a battery charger on low

9. lawnmaniac883

Hmm, missed my point, remove the cables from mower battery all in all. No charge going to battery at all, all is going to mower cables...

10. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Put a trickle charger on it, wait a few hours then try to crank it up, and yes ive ruined a few batteries jumping from vehicles.