1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I keep birds from drowning in my pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by pjslawncare/landscap, May 16, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife & I have a little plastic pond with steep walls and I made a little water fall for it, however twice this year we found a drowned bird in it. They obviously come to drink and fall in & cant get out. does any of you pro pond gurus have any suggestions how I can prevent this from happening. Would floating something or some type of water plants solve this. We have a fountain just 15 foot away from this pond they can safely drink from, but some still fall into the pond.
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Dumb birds down south I guess?

Maybe check the bird bath for traces of Jim Beam?
  3. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

ahh, Natural selection at its finest.
    what you need to do is simply add a stick or a twig, or even a floating log perhaps, something the bird can crawl up on. They only have claws and a beak to work with so it has to be something soft like wood. something to allow them to get their wings out of the water.
    I have seen simple chicken wire ladders used as well.
  4. dzs1945

dzs1945 LawnSite Member

tell them to stay out
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had this problem as well and we simply put a "No Lifeguard on Duty" sign up and haven't had a problem since. :p