How do I keep my mower from moving?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rmcouto, Apr 21, 2009.

1. rmcouto

rmcouto LawnSite Member

I am in my 4th year of a small landscape business and finally purchased a 48 inch walk behind. I also purchased a new 5x8 trailer. My question is how do I keep my mower from rolling around while driving. I do put it in gear, but it seems to still move a bit.. Any suggestions???

2. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about Mass, but in Ohio state law requires you secure your load. I use Pro Locker, but there are plenty of other methods. At a minimum I would suggest you use ratchet straps.

3. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

dont put it in gear it may screw it up. screw a 2x4 right bihind and infront of the drive tire so you can just drive it up and over the first block and fit the drive tire snug in between the 2 2x4s

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I would highly recommend fastraps. The link takes you to their main site, but you can get them cheaper at northern tool (I think).

5. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

You forgot just a little bit, you only need 1 ratchet strap for it to qualify as secured.

I use ratchet straps, but i am working on designing my own latch system that should make it quick and secure.

I would always reccomend securing it, espcally on a little trailer like that, it will sway alot, the last thing you want is for your mower to sway with it and then tip off!

6. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You will mess up the transmission. I know because about 15 years ago it happened to me.

7. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

All my stuff has 2x4's in the floor and hold everything. No one arond here straps their stuff down for a fact.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

One in each corner does the job. Even in an enclosed trailer I use atleast 2 per tractor/mower.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The absolute worst is if you have to slam on brakes, that mower starts to moving
    and about a second into it SLAMS into the front of the trailer, why you think that's bad?

See the bad part isn't what damage this may have caused, that won't stay on your mind long at all.
    The bad part is that 500 pounds of weight slamming into the wall like that will PUSH your truck forward many feet!
    You will literally FEEL the truck MOVING from the weight that just pushed you in back, hopefully the reason you
    slammed on brakes isn't because you were hoping not to drive into someone else's rear bumper.

Now you decide how you want to handle this, whether you want to strap it or chain and hooks or what...
    But I would highly recommend some kind of anti-motion security in back :p

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  10. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Once I slammed on the breaks and broke a 1.5 inch strap. The strap was through both front caster wheels then around my metal rail (2 x 4 inch) on my trailer. The back of my walk behind shifted and broke the strap.