1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I kill grass/weeds along a fence WITHOUT using roundup, etc?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Aug 8, 2004.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

We're enclosing about 6 acres of land with fencing...my wife and our dog are highly allergic to chemical smells ...... how can I kill the grass/weeds near the fence so I don't have to take hours weedeating....will salt work? Any other ideas?
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

motor oil? lol just kidding

i've never noticed any particular smell with my round up. i mix it in my 4 gallon sprayer at 3oz per gal.
  3. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

10% to 20% Vinegar
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Mix Round up at 1 to 1.5 ounces per gallon for the best results. Dead is dead so there is no reason to use more than necessary for a complete kill.

There will be no smell.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If you never want to weed around the fence it seems to me you need to use a soil sterilizer. Soil sterilizer can kill for a year or more, and keep it dead. If you use Roundup or some other chemical, or non chemical it will surely grow back in a short time. Most chemicals will bind with the soil and be gone, or at least I doubt discernable to you. Soil Sterilizer is no toy, and I would suggest hireing a professional, or doing lots of research before applying.

Good luck

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup is a post-emergent so it will not prevent new vegatation from growing. The use of a pre-emergent prior to the beginning of the growing season and the use of roundup for continuing maintenance of the fence row would be the way to go.

7. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

use some deisel fuel....that will kill it...no chemical smell either
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

diesel fuel dont smell? How about an overapplication of fertilizer, something high in Potassium. That will keep the weeds and grass down for at least a year.
  9. satch

satch LawnSite Member

I use a chemical called TRI-ATE.It looks like really clean sand.You sprinkle it on the area you want to kill.It does not have any smell at all.If go this route please ware gloves when appling this stuff!!
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The vinegar is the way. but like round up it will be an ongoing thing.

If you find a good place to buy it let us know.