how do i kill it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Sep 2, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i need to kill an entire front lawn that is really not grass, just a mix of clover, crabgrass, and other assorted weeds. the area is abot 30x20. i need suggestions on what to use, i also need to reseed the same area. my preferance is to sod, but i need to present both prices and give an option. i am licensed , so i can apply whatever i need, thanx.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Drive 75 will get rid of all of that, but leave the grass unharmed. If you have very little grass, you can just use round up and about a week later, aerate the heck out of it and over seed it. Leave the dead foilage there to help hold the seed.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure about NJ,but Drive isnt registered for use in NY state,I wanted to try it on clover,buy as i found out i cant use it :(

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I tried it for the first time this year! It smokes clover better than anything else ive tried!

5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I would just roundup/surflan front come back in a week rototill it up good and bring in topsoil if neeeded and seed and straw.Being such a small area shouldn't be much work at all.Good luck ,just my three cents.;)

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Surflan is a barrier chemical and should not be used if you want to reseed.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't use Surflan w/ Roundup unless you plan on waiting till next spring to seed. Surflan is a preemergent and would be of no benefit as you a looking to kill off exhisting vegetation. Use Roundup only, no Surflan. :) ;) :) ED

8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm bringing this one back up because I saw an ad today in one of the magazines for "the only granular soil fumigant on the market" from BASF. Basamid eliminates weeds, nematodes, grasses & soil diseases so you can reseed in 10 -12 days. Sounds cool for those total renovation jobs. Info is at www.turffacts.com

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw that ad too. I bet it's Expensive. Probably has to be watered in. If you price it let us know.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you rototill surflan you break the barrier and lose its effect and can reseed. So why surflan in the first place??? I would Apply 1% roundup AI and 1/5 lb of amno sulfate per gallon. wait 10 days and touch it up. wait 10 days and reseed. Or roundup wait 10 days rototill and reseed. In Fla. we can't reseed only plug or sod. Rule of thumb is to r.u. wait 10 r.u. wait 10 and plug. Wait 5 and pre-em. Pre-em will slow some root growth but keeping out weed comp is more important.