How do I Kill this??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dstosh, May 17, 2003.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about rototilling it up putting preen down. Then i would put down about 2.5-3 Inches of mulch and then some preen on top of that. let me know what you think.. Thanks

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Just spray it with any weed killer.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Preen will not work against already growing weeds. It will prevent germination of seeds if the vapor barrier it creates is not disturbed. Don't put it down and then roto-till. Put it down afterwards. I agree that a broadleaf weed-killer will work fine.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like speedwell to me, just had the same problem in the lawn, used a little weed-b-gon mixed with a little water so it didn't burn killed the stuff within bout 2-3 days.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Looks like Henbit to me. That is a winter weed that will set seed for next year. It should be dying out about right now with this heat.

6. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I think thats deadnettle. Heres a picture of it growing.
    If it is deadnettle then you could use trimec plus or millennium ultra according to my chart those are the ones recommended for it. I know trimec will work I've used on this before. If its henbit there's only a couple of postemergence herbicides that won't work.

dnet2.jpeg

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Ground Ivy?

Roundup or any broadleaf killer ought to do it.

8. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

It's Henbit.
    2-4-D will kill it. Apply a pre-m in the fall to control before it sprouts.

9. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

not that I am condoning this method but I have heard that a mixture of round up and 24D, will ill anything in about three days. Never done it , just heard about it. ;)

10. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

sounds like a waste of 2-4-d to me.