How Do I Know If I'm Getting Good Finished Compost?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do I have to send a sample to a lab???

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Try sprouting radish seeds in it. Radishes are quick to sprout.

4. Snapper12

Snapper12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from CE MO

Does it smell? Is it hot? Are there large pieces of wood/material in it?

5. Smallaxe

I get topsoil from the same yard I get the compost... I look at the mountains and decide on the spot which, of two, mountains of compost and which, of 3, mountains of topsoil...

Snapper 12, has a method that will allow me to go to the yard, make my selections and go to work...

So my followup question is,,, "Just how complicated does selecting compost have to get for application of the typical lawn?"

6. Snapper12

Snapper12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from CE MO

You're question is hard to answer. However, if you trust in the people making the compost any joe blow can haul it and spread it on a yard.

7. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have any plastic in it? Ask how it was screened and how fine? What are the ingredients of the compost? Yard debris, vegetable waste, leaves, grass clippings, woody materials, equine etc. etc.

All compost is not created equal when going to spread. There are several compost producers in my area and all are different. Best I've found is a equine / leaves only compost that works beautifully for topdressing lawns. Very clean compost to work with vs. others with pieces of plastic bags, wood/other waste materials in it.

Happy hunting.

8. Smallaxe

I've never gotten burned, buying compost that I can look at, only the stuff in the bags were disappointing... I was just wondering if the only way lcos got reliable compost was through testing at the local gov't testing lab...

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a scope from Tim Wilson (includes microbe ID DVD) and take a look for yourself. Take a small amount of compost, put in a small container with a little bit of molasses, shake it up and see what you have.

http://microbeorganics.com/#Microscopes_for_sale

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Everyone using compost should have this in their tool kit. You will learn a great deal and be able to do it yourself.

One other thing, if your compost contains manure you should have it tested for E-coli.