how do i know if my wheel motor is going or my pump?????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, Apr 17, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a tiger cub with 100 hours on it and if i am going up a hill or doing a slope that the left wheel is the lower one on slope carring more weight it starts to chatter and than it makes loud banging. once on the flat it workd great but under a heavy load the left side it chatters and if you keep pushing on the lever farther it really starts to bang.. anyone have a clue??? :confused:

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

lol
    I thought all Scags made that sound!

Seriously, look for something wrapped around wheel, or loose wheel lug nuts. If you see nothing, STOP. Take it to your dealer. You have a wheel motor problem.

3. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

usually when your pump goes there is no noise let alone a banging noise.

4. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

My tiger cub 48" with 19hp kawi does sort of the same thing but not all the time. some times the when I turn left, pushing the right lever forward, it seems to chatter but no banging noises. My mower has 210 hours and is just 2 yrs old.

5. milo

yes. mine only does it once and a while like on a slope where there is more pressure on the left side. most of the time it feels great but only when doing a slope or something it will chatter. i looked at the oil lever in the reservor and it is like 3 1/2 inches below the filler neck and the manual says it should only be 3 inches below so i am gonna add some oil to it to see if that helps. the oil return line is just covered by the oil level now and i am thinking it might always have to be covered and when i am doing a hill oil does not cover it and that this could be the problem. so i will try it tomorrow with a bit more oil in it and hope that fixes it.. it better lol. only 100 hours..:(

6. milo

also so if more oil dont fix it i should look to the wheel motor then right???? thanks for the help

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Raise the unit up and take the pressure relief off and rotate the wheel to see if it is smooth. If it is smooth I guess you run it until it fails....

8. milo

what will that tell me??? if it is smooth is it ok??? 99.8% of the time it is fine only when i am on a hill and like i said i looked at the hydrolic reservior and i think it might be a little low on oil and the one line might not be covered with oil when i am on a slope like this so tomorrow i will try it with more oil and hope to do a slope to see if that is what it was.

9. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

what ed2hess is telling you is that sometimes using the described procedure you can detect a problem in the wheel motor.

If you get nothing from this test, there are more.

For example, slowly match the front/rear of the machine to a fixed object and engage the fwd/rev motion, respectively. Listen for your noise. If you can hear it with this method, then you can duplicate it when you bring it back to your dealer to get the wheel motors fixed.

If you insist on spending more time with the machine prior to taking it in:

1.check your belts/idlers for flopping or slipping

2.look for cracks in the frame that are "popping" when the machine is under a load

10. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Have your dealer put a flowmeter on your system and test it. They can tell you if it is a wheel motor or pump.