1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I lean out My 25hp Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, May 25, 2001.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have been noticing that my chopper will not keep my rpm at 3800 when mowing at speed I used to when it was new. It used to surge real bad, but I took it to the dealer and they said it was running to lean, so the richened up the mixture. With all this rain I have been in some tough conditions and the power is not there. I feel the mixture is too Rich and I have herd this will robb your power. I don't have time take it to the dealer so If I could get some advice I will see if I can fix it my self.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Check your air filters,and put a new fuel filter in if you havent changed it in a while.Mine wont hold 3800 either,its probably just out of power.The command 25 just doesnt have the guts its advertised to have.I fought up and down with my dealer over the lack of power,but got nowhere.I hope its something simple in your case.You are not supposed to,and shouldnt have to be adjusting the carb.let the dealer do it if the engines under warranty still,just in case.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

MY dealer says that 3700rpm is the highest you should
    be pushing them, But if you are running double blades
    Eric told me that the MAX should be running is 3750 rpm's
    with the blades on not moving. The grass is going to seed
    right now, And is very tough and juicey and mowing right
    now is slow moving. should't let the rpm's drop below
    3350 or 3400rpm while mowing. good luck & good mowing.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Clarke, according to my Kohler engine manual,3750,no load is the absolute highest they should be set at.Now according to the decal next to the throttle,and my dealer,it should be set at no less than 3750,blades engaged,and can be set as high as 3850+ - 50 RPM.Every time I got mine back from a warranty repair-governor was set at 4000,even though it was at 3800 when it went it,they say to spin it high,it will run cooler at 3800 than at 3600 since the fan draws more air at higher speeds.After they did my head gaskets,I started to mow with it,and it sounded like it was screaming-I took a peek at the tach-4200:eek: .Im glad my wife didnt use it,she wouldve kept it to the pin for 3 hrs.To me the 25Hp starts to weeze at 3850-any higher,and its just making noise,and it takes almost full throttle (at carb) to maintain any higher than that,with blades on.