How do I make $100,000 next year?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gordons Landscape, Dec 12, 2003.

?

Is it possible to make $100,000 a year with 4 employees including myself.

1. yes

69 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. I don't know

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. Gordons Landscape

Gordons Landscape LawnSite Member

Sorry for the up front post but I am a straight forward kind of guy. I have been in the lawn care (a little Landscaping) buisness for 5 years and have made a decent living. Nothing that great. My goal is to make six figures next year. This is my plan:

1. Grow from 1 employee to 3. Have 2 crews 1 mowing 1 landscaping.

2. Learn everything I can about landscaping as I am mostly a lawn care guy.

3. Charge a good amount of money for Landscaping I am thinking $35 an hour plus 100% mark up on all matierals. (not what I tell my customers just how I figure out the bid)

Really these are my 2 questions:

Is it possible to make 6 figures with 4 employees (including myself) two mowing two landscaping?

If so what is the secret to making this much money?

Thank you all for your help!

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Take your $35 hr. landscaping fee up to $100 an hr. would give you a good start. If your going to do landscaping your gonna need a skid steer or trac. and you need to charge accordingly. And yes you will gross 6 figures pretty quick, to net over 6 will depend on you.

Mac

3. Gordons Landscape

grossing 6 figures I have done 4 years in a row neting 6 figures is what I am guning for.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What is the percentage breakdown of your present business costs???? The easiest way to do this would be to anaylize your expenses, see if therre are room for savings, and up your prices a bit.

5. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

This is certainly very sound advice. Andrew Carneigie is reputed to have said "if you watch the pennies, the dollars will mind themselves".

Make sure to consult with a good accountant. I have found that the rules, provided you know them, allow for very nice increases in profit through reduction of tax burden. payup

I have found that using information technology has increased my profits handsomely. Remember, information moves so you don't have to. Correctly managing information effectively allows you to be in two or more places at once. The cab of my F250 has cellular phone, satellite radio, laptop, digital camera and a few other Captain Kirk starter kit items which greatly enhance productivity.

Another good way to trim costs is group buying. Me and a few other small outfits are considering forming a 501C corporation as a shell so we can gain leverage on everything from new trucks to fuel and health insurance. The 501C status is a not-for-profit paper entity and also allows for the establishment and maintenance of 403B retirement accountants as well as some other juicy benefits. I figure wealthier, prettier and better connected people than I wrote the rules and I am only obligated to follow them. :jester:

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Anything is possible, all it takes is hard work, dedication from you and your employees, honesty, and a booming economy. A little bit of experience doesn't hurt either.
    good luck

zed

7. Gordons Landscape

Thanks for all your help guys. Although watching my expensise is probibly my strongest point. I always look for a deal

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on doing over 100k next year with 1 full time and 1 part time employee. I will also work part time. I worked part time this year and my helper also worked part time. Gross over 50k. My goal is to work on my business and not so much in my business.

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

You can gross 100k a year solo easily. It should be no problem if you have 4 helpers. Im planning on being close to 100k for next year and im solo and plan on being solo for a while.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned