how do i make money on this sub job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jun 15, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

here is the deal,

i want to hire another company to spray and do some light bob cat work for a residential customer

the lawn is HUGE probably 4-5 acres

i want the person to have direct contact with the owner and i don't want anything to do with the billing.

how do i go about making $$$$$$$$$$ on this job??????
    do i charge a flat referal fee?
    do i charge some type of commision?

i would rather not sub it out and have the whole, calling back and forth thing going on.

i would rather not deal with the paperwork and just have 1 check made to me.....say 5%

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

dude, you are making money!! think about it, you are now the hero in your clients eyes, you were able to get the job done even though you dont have the machine to get the job done you found a way.. in the end like i said your the hero for the day!!! and your able to retain your client for the future!!

3. grass disaster

actually he is not really a steady client. i just started doing more work for him

i believe he is very well off.

he calls me for onsey twosey jobs. this week i mowed his lawn. even though he has a brand new exmark in the garage. never argues the prices.

extremly nice guy too.

actually he has all the fertilizing equipment in his shop too. he must need write offs or something.

4. grass disaster

no one else has any clever ideas?

5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I'd run the job through my company, top up the price. You'd be surprised how well it pays to use subcontractors. I myself am looking into subbing more. Problem with doing lots of subbing is sometimes you have to pay the sub before you yourself get paid from client. It takes deep pockets at times.

You could make 20 to 40% on top of the sub...

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may have to do it right through this guy. I don't know about your state, but in many - like Michigan, you can't even bill for the spraying unless you too are fully licensed as a company. Many people want to sub me for their spraying, but I have to advise them that they are NOT able to legally do the billing on it. The way it is written is that you cannot put yourself out to the public as offering and/or providing any services that require a license.

7. grass disaster

so then how exactly would i get some $ off of the deal? tell him i want a $50-$100 one time referal fee

8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

if ya dont want to deal with it then why not just refer the guy to the ower and walk away from it knowing that it will be taken care of that you done ur "deed of the week" then next time dude u sub to has someone that needs some work done hell be more prone to send it to you and so on and so on..... i do this all the time with guys we just get in a groove of sending work back and forth....... easier to deal with it that way instead of subbing it to them. like you said its not worth the hassle and paper trail.......