How do I make my perennial-ryegrass green(er)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Crist Clapper, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Crist Clapper

Crist Clapper LawnSite Member

Any known common causes for perennial ryegrass to be light(er) green in color?

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Soil test.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Perennial rye often goes a bit off-color in cold weather--HOWEVER--the cause is usually because it gets rust disease. If you walk through the grass with white sneakers...and they take on a gold or rusty brown appearance...it is likely caused by thousands of rust spores. Rust happens in the fall. The situation is often worse in the first year after new seeding of the rye or rye mixture. The green will usually be restored after frost. The top quality perennial rye seeds are dark green and sometimes resistant to the rust fungus. More fertilizer in the form of nitrogen will be helpful.
    http://www.msuturfdiseases.net/details/_/rust_15/

4. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Ammonium sulfate will fix, but not if it has rust

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Usually the Ryegrass and KBG have no problem with green color,,, it is always the Fescues that tend to be a little difficult...

Do you have irrigation? and when and how much N has been added to the grass this past season???

My unirrigated lawns have really 'brightened up' since the cool wet weather of Fall... Right now is the best they've been since last Spring...

6. Crist Clapper

Soil tested acceptable nutrient levels.
    Well fed.
    pH within range.

7. Crist Clapper

Confirming the off-color has appeared since the colder weather.

No rust-spores that I can detect. I have since first posting this received a report that I have leaf-spot/melting-out. Thoughts?

History: Kentucky-blue(unknown type(s) sod in 2007... Over the years the perennial-rye has

8. Crist Clapper

Application rate(s)? Downside(s)?

9. Crist Clapper

I sent-out the plant(s) for testing... And the lighter color is perennial-rye.

I do irrigate. I can't speak to the N factor as I have a lawn service.

10. Crist Clapper

CONTINUING...

Confirming the off-color has appeared since the colder weather.

No rust-spores that I can detect. I have since first posting this received a report that I have leaf-spot/melting-out. Thoughts?

History: Kentucky-blue(unknown type(s) sod in 2007... Over the years the perennial-rye has become 80% of the whole.

During the summer I noticed a "different" grass... But it blended well. Now the off-color is very obvious.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
    Perennial rye often goes a bit off-color in cold weather--HOWEVER--the cause is usually because it gets rust disease. If you walk through the grass with white sneakers...and they take on a gold or rusty brown appearance...it is likely caused by thousands of rust spores. Rust happens in the fall. The situation is often worse in the first year after new seeding of the rye or rye mixture. The green will usually be restored after frost. The top quality perennial rye seeds are dark green and sometimes resistant to the rust fungus. More fertilizer in the form of nitrogen will be helpful.
    http://www.msuturfdiseases.net/details/_/rust_15/