How do I make organic weed killers

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, Mar 2, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I want to make my business organic this year, but I need to be better educated on the subject.

What kind of weed killers can I use that are cheap and /or organic?

I know there are recipes out there that include vinegar and other house hold ingredients and are supposed to be cheaper, safer, and more affective than products like round up and weed b gone....

I'm looking to kill pretty much anything from dandelion to grass in garden beds...Really any recipe or store bought product posted here would be greatly appreciated. I really could use some help.

-Thanks

I also have a thread I started concerning corn gluten meal and its uses in the lawn. If you would like to add to this conversation below is a link.http://http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218601

2. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

sry if the corn gluten link doesn't work.. it's in the organics forum titled "new fertilization program.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You can use vinegar on dandelions and/or grasses, so if you spray a dandelion in the lawn and hit some grass you probably kill both. The same is true killing grasses in flower beds.
    There is no organic 'broadleaf' herbicide, per se, in organics.

Dandelions have a lot of energy reserves in that root so you may spray more than once. The 5% acid is ok on many things, but there is also 10% and 20% available from online stores.

The advantage of vinegar over 2,4d or glysophate is that the plant does not have to be actively growing for best benefit. The acid eats away the protective waxey cutin layer of the leaves.

4. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I don't just use straight vinegar do I? I dilute it with water right?

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Grocery store vinegar is at 5% just the way it is in the jug. Any additional water will reduce the acid percentage.
    In other words, no, you do not add water.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Would that be cooking vinegar? :waving:

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You don't kill weeds (one mans weed is another man's/woman's......whatever) you out compete them. You build soil fertilty, you manipulate the soil soil so that they don't grow there.

Feed the soil, the soil feeds the plant