how do I obtain commerical contracts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by juicelee, Feb 4, 2004.

1. juicelee

juicelee LawnSite Member

I need help on how to get commercial jobs. I need to know what type of conversation I need to start out with. I don't want to sound like a telemarketer, but I do want to sound professional so I can get those type of contracts. Speaking of contracts....... does anyone out there have one I could take a look at.

2. stihlajohndeere

stihlajohndeere LawnSite Member

First place to start looking is in the newspaper. You can also mail prospective companies directly. Find out when most companies award new contracts. In my area of the country, commercial accounts are usually awarded on March 1.

A good approach is to ask if they have a maintenance company now and would they entertain a bid, you think you can do better work at a reasonable cost.

Be warned, if you are not used to bidding commercial jobs, you can loose your A@# by bidding incorrectly. Also make sure they don't string you along for the first few months payment. Put something in the contract for delays etc..... Don't accept additional work outside the scope of the contract without writing up a seperate agreement. (that's a big trap many fall into). Find out about dead beat companies in your area. Don't rely on the Better Business Bureau alone for information since they can only report on those that are members. Most don't chose to belong. Good luck to you that's a tough bussiness to be in.

3. Lance Isaacs

Lance Isaacs LawnSite Member

I agree with you. Anther thing to look out for is the mailing date. I work for Sonic the fast food restraunts. I would submit my bill to them and it would take forever to get back with me. Turns out Sonic on ships bills on the 6th of the month and 31st of the month. Make it clear that other work to be done outside the contract is clear.

4. juicelee

juicelee LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the advise. I will most diffently take heed!!!!

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. juicelee

juicelee LawnSite Member

thanks team gopher