How do I PROPERLY bid on leaf removal & Fall cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Oct 7, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the BEST way to do such without jipping yourself? What do you charge per hour and what services does the job include?

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Seven years in the business and you don't know how to charge YET! for this service? I would have thought you'd covered this in some of your informative posts since being a member. :dizzy:

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Wel this is the first year i am offering fall cleanups, I've mowed lawns for some time though.

4. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

down my way the big companies charge $35 a hr per man on the job... i average about $25 (but give a price upfront for the total cost)

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

What are your expenses is the first question you need to ask yourself. Do you work alone, or have a crew?

My leaf removal service includes hauling off all of the leaves in a dump truck. If they want trimming, that is included as well.

Find a rate you want to make per hour, and give the customer a approximation on time. Bid higher than what you first think.

I have learned a few lessons on clean-ups.

Also, some customers want to wait until all of the leaves have fallen before ordering this service. This is a bad idea you should tell them. Leaves that have been rained on, snowed on, take way longer to clean-up than dry leaves.

Bagging leaves in trash bags is probably the worst way to go. Takes way too long.

Do a search on leaf boxes. Lots of guys on this site have some pretty cool methods for handeling leaves.

Good luck.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we charge hourly for leaf removal...too many factors involved where I have jipped myself in previous years.

1. the amount of leaves (layers of leaves)
    2. wet or dry leaves
    3. one time clean up or several throughout the fall
    4. the weather conditions outside
    5. etc, etc, etc.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I estimate based on cost plus. You need to know your costs going in, then add the desired amount of earnings per hour. The tough part is to figure out how many hours it will take to do the job. If you're good at that, then giving an estimate is easy.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

IMO you should always, always, always walk the property over a couple of times to see exactly what you have.

tiedeman has a great point. I have jipped myself also on this service. Leaves are one thing, mix them with 6" of grass, pine cones, large sticks, unforeseen hazards, and who knows what else and you can invest some time in what seems at first to be a simple task. Walk, Walk, Walk.

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

$60 an Hr when we spend time on a regular service visit.

If it's a one time "OK honey, all the leaves are down lets call for a TotalCareSolution", well...we just have to go to the property and be sure to 'cheat em right'!

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, exactly why I charge hourly