How do I properly trim around fence posts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XterraJohn, May 14, 2008.

1. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has a relatively large back yard with many fence posts. The fence goes pretty much all the way to the ground, so I am unable to trim the very corner that is formed where the post meets the actual fence. Does anyone have any tips for trimming this area, other than crawling around on my knees with grass scissors?

Here's a drawing as an example of what I'm talking about:

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, inside corners on fences are a PITA. I usually get as close as I can with the trimmer than end up pulling the remainder by hand.

There's really nothing else you can do, especially if the fence is painted, you'll end up messing it up with the trimmer line if you get all the way into the corner.

Other alternative is a non-selective herbicide right in the corner so nothing grows up in that spot.
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I use a growth reg like primo or cutless.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I usually will turn the trimmer on its side which helps to some degree. I myself have these same fence posts in my own lawn. If the fence is painted your only choice is to hand pull or use of herbicide like others suggested.
  5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I usually hand pull as well. Watch out for black widows.:nono:
  7. XterraJohn

I don't see my linked picture in the first post anymore. Let's try again.

8. XterraJohn

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. Yes, the fence is actually stained. I try not to hit it too much with the trimmer.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Nice graphics!!