1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I quickly raise the height on my 36 Scag Adv?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green-pa, May 9, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I already cut a bit high, I think I'm at 3.5 inch or something. My question is what is the quickest way to raise the height on a 36 Scag wb Advantage? Note that the deck isn't a floating deck. I was considering doing this ( raising it ) to help me not make as much mess with the wet grass tommorow. There are spacers on each of the blade bolts and there are deck levels. It's a pain in the arse to loosen the blades with my 2 wrenches and I messed up my left wrist when once wrench slipped and I scraped my skin terribly hard on the steel corner of my mower. Should I just get an air wrench or something for that? I guess I'm turning this into 2 questions huh?
  2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

There are two height adjustments on the deck front (spacers) and back (bolts)

Then there are spacers on the blade bolts to adjust cut height.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is kinda a pain to raise the back of the deck....it is six bolts and it will makes that two wrench blade removal look like sissy work. Usually there are three spaces on the front wheels that can get you pretty high.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The only quick height adjustment on a fixed deck I know of are the front caster spacers.
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, get an air wrench !!
  6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

if it is a floating deck there should be four rods with cotter pins on the deck, thats what holds the deck up just like on the exmark
  7. E & J Pro Turf

E & J Pro Turf LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Get a air gun to take off the top nut. You really don't need to hold on to the bottom bolt. Then tap the blade bolt down and move the spacers where you want them. After the first time you will get fast at it. Its very easy to do. They sell a cordless impact gun, very expensive.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You don't really need an air gun on Scag they can easily be taken off with two wrenches.....scag don't have a bunch of spacers it is one big one and that isn't the best way to raise height. Height is raised with spaces and the three mounting holes on the back side to keep it level.