1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I raise prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midnight_Sun, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Midnight_Sun

Midnight_Sun LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I'm 17, and have been mowing some of my neighbors lawns in my neighborhood for 3 years now. All 8 of them are very good clients who I am on a first name basis with, and do not use contracts. They pay on time, give tips, are very nice, etc. However I am charging $5-10 too little which is a lot. I am planing on becoming licensed and insured next year, and do not want to be a low baller or a scab any longer. What would be the best way to raise their rates without loosing them? A few dollars at a time, all at once, keep the same because they are very good clients, or what?

Thanks for all your guys help.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on how many they are...if you have 5 them No I wouldnt raise em, b/c you need more accounts, get the volume you need them raise em.
  3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Go get new customers. Charge them more. Then bump up your old customers.
  4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I just say that starting the next time i mow i will have to raise the prices (how ever much you want) becouse of insurance and the cost of running equipment is very expensive and also bring up the price of gas and how expensive it is and how your mower guzzles it. Thats what i say and havent ran into any problems.
  5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Just tell them that you need more money. If your lucky they won't replace you with the next generation of little johnny from down the street. But if they do then you will know how it feels to be all grown up trying to run a real business. Good luck?

If they give you grief tell them your hobbies have changed, and girls/cars cost more then video games :).