How do I repair PVC?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Flowspan Slipfixes say on the the unit itself to leave it in midtravel position and to restrain all pipe movement.

Obviously, that means backfill it well, and don't use them in valveboxes etc.

The KwikRepair is superior by not having any O-rings, but I personally don't ever use plastic unions (We use brass when hooking up our BFP's).

I've had on slipfix fail on me so far, and it was because we pressurized a line before backfilling, and the pressure pushed the slipfix apart.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if using blue glue might be too fast-setting for the KwikRepair. As for fixing a mainline with 2 sch 80 unions and a bit of pipe, I'd think you could measure before you cut the pieces, glue the union-with-nut ends onto the inground pipe, and place the just-freshly-assembled patch piece with the union mating pieces into the space, and allow the natural tendency of the pipe to push itself out of the fittings force the patch piece to completely fill the gap.

3. Nothing like breaking the ear off of one side of a snap ring holding an "under pressure" check valve in a Toro 690 valve in head.....complaining a bit about the stupid plastic snap rings...then gripping the other side of the snap ring...standing up and pulling as hard as you can....and getting very wet, being very scared, feeling very stupid as you run to the nearest lateral to turn the valve off, looking like you just got out of the shower with your clothes on.

It is actually very dangerous....I can't believe more rookie irrigation techs on golf courses don't get hurt badly when doing this.

good news about doing it though...you will only do it once.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

First time I got my hands on the Kwik Repairs I made it a mission to TRY and blow one up via water hammer, pressurizing to soon, etc. Using wet or dry blue glue, I popped a fitting I hadn't planned on working on instead of the repair coupling.......I then decided I had tried hard enough.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

yep, and I LIVE in my $5 saftey glasses. Get me a clear pair for long days during the short day periods in spring and fall. The number of guys wandering around out there who insist on wearing the $100 ray bands who can still see amazes me. Why don't these kids get a clue and wear SAFTEY glasses???

6. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

So other than the 4" class 200... what would you do differently? I'm asking 'cause I don't know. Are you saying you'd use different fittings and not the 90's?

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

It's all about the eye men.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Bumping a thread that's almost 8 years old....

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Yes he did and you might find this interesting.

My buddy works for the school district, they had to work sat and sun to repair a 4 in slipfix gone bad.

Seems the main had been repaired in july, the end of the body blew out, cracked around the body where the pipe was glued.

I will try to get pics
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to see those picture's. 4" telescoping coupler's can be a giant cluster****. Steel mechanical coupler's for anything bigger than 3", no exception's.