How do I respond to this HOA?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cheryl, May 13, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

To make a long story short, I would like to get this account (I think). My proposal clearly states six treatments.

After the board approved (I thought) my proposal. I thanked them, and told them I would put them on my schedule. Then, I got this response ---- “”The Board wants to schedule fertilizing "as needed" as opposed to a fixed schedule. We'll keep an eye on things and schedule service, as it is required. If you notice that we're waiting too long, please let us know”” -----

I did the first service for them without a contract and they loved it. Probably why they went with me. Unfortunately the service was so good, that they probably thought, “hey look how good this grass looks after two months. We don’t have to do this every stinking other month”. My first inclination is to blow them off. Maybe that is what I’ll do. How do I get them to see things my way? What are the key words to say? This one smells bad.

BTW this is an up-upscale condominium community on the inter-coastal. Aren’t that type the stingiest? O-yeah, and they are probably on “a fixed income” don’t you hate when they tell you that? At least you have an income buddy. Try living on “fixed debt” like I do, for a change.
  2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

My suggestion would be ask to see when thier next meeting is and attend that meeting and give them an education on proper turf care. I am VP of my HOA and when a contractor attends a meeting it makes a world of difference. Most HOA are a pain and are incapably to making a decision.
  3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

explain that fert is one of the procedures and without prems properly timed and a proper pest control schedule their lawn will get weedy and plants buggy.
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

FORGET IT. They are already working you to tell you how to run your business instead of you following your own schedule of how you do things.

They will call you when people start complaining that grass is full of weeds. Then they will expect you to produce a weed free/super green grass in one visit. HOA's are the Wal-Mart of the green industry (i.e. get you to cut your profit margins to nothing to get their business).

Run from HOA - you would be working for several board members who get their power fix by being on the board.
  5. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I would explain that you offer a program. If they elect not to take the program then you offer individual applications at a much higher rate. Or you may decide not to offer this option and walk. Be sure they understand that if they elect not to be on a program that it is their responsibility to call for another individual application. Get it in writing and get it signed. They want you to treat them like they are on a program but not pay for the program. I doubt they would ever work for anybody under those circumstances. Get paid for what you do or get out.
  6. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Yeah, I worry about the lawn looking bad, and having other HOA's think it's my fault. I am thinking of walking away from this one. It looks like a no win situation.
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your county extension they should have literature you can give them showing what is recomended by the university of florida and that you only follow those guidelines.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

The easiest way to get around people calling when they want you is to explain it in Farmer terms. Tell them grass is like a crop of corn it needs timely nutirents of fertilizer at the right times as well as properly applied herbicicde application due to weed life cycles. Also, take the opinions of others who tell you to explain to them that that not the way the service is offered.
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Also the costs of their program is based on a full program. Single applications will have higher individual costs.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Are you cuting the property also.