How do I rid this PITA??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, Dec 30, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

So -- my 5-gallon sprayer is mounted on my trailer. I often leave roundup in the sprayer overnight if I'm going to be using it the next day.

The trailer stays outside so I need to figure out how to stop the roundup from freezing inside the sprayer. I thought about anti-freeze --- but I figured that probably wasn't very wise. I think rubbing alcohol lowers the freezing point of a liquid but I don't know if that's any smarter than anti-freeze.

It's a huge PITA to remove the liquid every single night.
    It's also a huge PITA to bring the sprayer inside every night.

Anyone have any ideas? -- Thanks.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

is it 5 gallons or was that a typo and it's 50 gallons (or more)? If it's only 5 gallon I don't see the big deal to bring it inside. I have an idea but it depends on what size the tank is. Let me know.
  3. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Get a heat probe, like the ones used to keep stock tanks from freezing in the winter. Any farm supply will have them.
  5. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

Not a bad idea but it's too far away from any electicity to plug something in.
  6. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious, since I never have used Round-up in the winter time, what are the daytime temperatures reaching if it is freezing at night? Isn't there a minimum daytime temp for round-up to be effective? I only use round-up during the spring and summer and clean the tank daily (unless it is a small handheld sprayer). Sounds like you either need to run some juice for electricity, put it inside or drain the tank daily. 5 gallons does not seem like much compared to a large tank. Using anti freeze or adding alcohol could damage your sprayer or could violate the law regarding application of this product.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This time of year why even have it on the trailer .... won't a small 2 gallon hand sprayer work .... or if not why even have the 5 gallon full .... if it's a pain to pull it because of weight why not just have it half full n lighter
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Roundup freezing inside your tank might cause something to crack. I'd take it out and pump the empty tank up, until just air went through.
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Really, I don't see why it would be such a big deal to take it inside. My backpack sprayer is a 4 gal. and doesn't weight that much. I would rather take it inside than risk damage to it. I know that they don't cost that much to replace, but if I had to needlessly replace equipment because I'm too lazy to take proper care of it I would be kickin' myself in the arse. After all, a little preventive care could save you that extra $$$ you may want to apply to other equipment you might want to buy in the future.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I don’t see how it’s too far away for electricity, but if you can’t have electricity there and won’t carry it in then I don’t have any ideas (my idea needed electricity). I guess you could look for something battery operated but I don’t know what it would be.
    You might get some ideas from