1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do i run a efficient business at age 14?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by flynnlandscaping, Jan 16, 2012.

1. flynnlandscaping

flynnlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hey guys im 14 and want to expand my lawn care company. Im currently taking courses at vocational school for commercial landscaping and horticulture. Ive been mowing since i was 8 and need to grow from a lawn tractor to a exmark WB and ive been working on upgrading the rest of my fleet to commercial equipment. If you are interested please check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7Oa3LdSJw&list=UUDxHCWK9hWqkAKro42W0QKQ&index=7&feature=plpp_video

I just want some professional advice to become bigger and better in the industry I would really appreciate any input!:)
  2. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't, don't do what I did with my childhood go and enjoy it you only have it once!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Best advice: Enjoy being a kid!!! You don't get tht time back. Go chase girls!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. flynnlandscaping

from nj

hahahaha yeah my girl friend doesn't mind landscaping because her house gets cut for free and she likes when i buy her **** so im good on that lol :laugh:
    Yeah and alot of people tell me that but i find myself balancing both
  5. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are to young to have a gf man just ffl. Find them ...... Them Leave them
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. flynnlandscaping

from nj

what are u talking about?
  7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I really like your logo!:clapping:

Now, to answer the question. Grow slowly. Buy used equipment if you can. Start building credit early. If you can get your dad to do it, have him cosign a loan for like a thousand bucks to buy a used hydro walk behind (if you have the work to support the payment). Make your payments a week early, every time. As for growing, just pass out flyers or door hangers in your neighborhood. Use this site to network. Find someone in your area in the industry to talk to when you need help. Do not step on anyone's toes. Don't try to be friends with all the other lawn guys in your town, just one or two. You will find there is resentment between a lot of people and you don't want to be in the middle of it (maybe my town is just ****** up, idk). Don't forget about your personal life, your friends, your school. Don't cut class to go mow (though I did... and also for plowing snow). Always do what you say you are going to do, never cut corners, always do what you say you are going to, and most importantly always do what you say you are going to. If half way through you realize you are going to make no money, keep doing it, and do it perfect, even go the extra mile. Just consider it an advertising cost or something, because if you half ass something you will never work for that customer again. Never get in a hurry, never use to big of equipment on your lawns, try not to mow in the rain. Don't get real big until you are 18 and can get liability insurance on your own, and be very careful not to screw anything up. It would be terrible to have something happen that would get your parents sued.

Good luck!
  8. flynnlandscaping

from nj

Yeah thanks i just got insurance workmans comp all that through my dad and ive been going to vo tec and they teach me alot of stuff. and yeah im after a 48 exmark on cl used i think its a better bet and going what you said about steeping on other guys feet i been trying real hard not to but due to the fact my dad knows every landscaper in my area real well because of where he went to school its hard to not step on there feet alot of guys tell me its all good and some give me 1 or 2 lawns with shity customer but they pay so i cant argue
  9. TheBetterDoorhanger

TheBetterDoorhanger Sponsor

The best advice I can give you is that advertising is key to making your business grow! One of the least expensive but very effective ways to do that is by using Door-Hangers.
    We have a lot of specials going on at Adeas Printing. You can get 1,000 door hangers with the revolutionary Band-It attachment on them for only $99.00. You can also get 1,000 combo Band-it/Stick-It door hangers for $119.00. By using door hangers you are creating a much more up close and personal conversation with your customer and you will really stand out from the competition. Take a look at our video page to learn more about Band-It & Stick It & to see our other specials & feel free to call us with questions! http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
    A'DEAS Printing
    Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
    (316) 269-2494 ext. 200
    (866) 251-3181 fax
    719 S. St. Francis
    Wichita, KS 67211
  10. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Finish Grade twelve.