How do I sell a mature tree?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JoPaKent, Jan 5, 2004.

1. JoPaKent

JoPaKent LawnSite Member

I have a client with a 75 foot magnolia that is just too large for her yard. We've talked about thinning it but also about removing it. Someone mentioned that there may be a healthy demand for a mature, healthy specimen such as this.

Can someone suggest a forum for determining the market price for a tree like this?

It seems like someone trying to landscape an "estate-class" building project would pay a healthy sum for a specimen like this.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

JPK

2. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

It depends on the cultivar type of magnolia. There use to be services( Trees 'r' us ) that remove trees that size with a spade but it will take some doing. In your part of the world, Mags do well do to frost free zones. But because of this they are a dime- a- dozen. A 75' mag indicates to me that it may be old, again depending on the variety, and may not transplant well. If you try, do not guarantee success, and check M. Dirr Manual of woody Landscape Plants for more info.
    I would look for a tree around the twenty - 25' size for transplanting.
    Good Luck!
    J

3. panda

panda LawnSite Member

I agree with John. A 75' tree is a large one for transplant. Depending on the variety, possibly some pruning is possible to bring the size down. Tree companies will need to know the caliper size in order to know if they can move it. You are correct in knowing there is a fairly big market for specimen trees. I've attatched a photo of a large japanese maple that we moved three years ago. We were unable to get a spade to it , so it was hand dug, balled up, and removed with a reach forklift. These pics were taken this fall.. the tree is doing very well. I know of a company up your way who may be of assistance to you. E-mail me if you would like more info on them.

maple tree 001.jpg

4. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

Whats a tree like that maple go for????????????????

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If its a 75' magnolia, it looks like crap if its thinned or topped out. Really the only option i would think is removal for one that size.

6. panda

panda LawnSite Member

Well... that would depend on who wants it... and where it had to be transported to. We were told when we had it transplanted its "value" was $10.000 plus. Tree "values" can be very tricky to figure out. Although japanese maples are very beautiful trees.... one of my favorites.....they are abundant here in the northwest...as are most any kind of tree... therefore alot of folks don't realize just how valuable trees are..I recently read an article about a tree transplant company in the east , that was getting up to $60.000 for a transplant tree.

7. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday i cut 2 magnolias that were 30ft+ tall. They were about 24 yrs old. I wish i had waited another day to cut 'em. I might have made some money off of them. They would get their trees removed for free and i would be $10,000 richer.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a consulting arborist. They will be able to somewhat accurately asses the value of the tree if you think someone might want to pony up the $$ for it.

Check out http://www.asca.com (or is it .net or .org? I can't remember) to find a consulting. A certified arborist may have the knowledge to help, if you can't find a consulting. Check out http://www.isa-arbor.com and use the "find an arborist" link.

To move it, you will need a company that specializes in big trees. When they moved the smoke tree (national co-champion) at Purdue a couple of years ago, it cost $37k, so good luck!

Dan

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the tree shopping and consulting for a tree that will be planted in 06' most likely. My budget for a mature Copper Beech was $100,000 and we found two trees that are in the running one in RI for $90,000 and one in NY for $70,000 installed