1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Do I Sell My Accounts??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by grassguy01, Aug 18, 2007.

1. grassguy01

grassguy01 LawnSite Member

Need help on figuring how to sell my accounts. Do I take one months worth for each account, or should I take a % of total income. For example if income from accounts is 100, do they sell for 25, 50 or what? Thanks in advance.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think anywhere from a month's gross all the way to 30% of a year's receipts can be fair, but you may wish to add some value yourself. That is, if you wish to maximize your sale, I would offer (and do it) to go to each and every customer's house with the Lco taking over, and go through a short but somewhat formal type of introduction and explanation.
    Just a few minutes at everybody's house, hi, this is such-and-such, here's what's going on, lalala
    For those not at home, call and leave a message maybe.

What this will do:
    1) Inform each and every customer of teh impending doom. No seriously, they will feel a LOT better knowing what is going on vs. just some strange dude showing up the next time, I guarantee better customer retention here. I would also guarantee a price freeze for the rest of this season, that is, no increases at all for the rest of this year.

2) Somewhere between a few to several will politely decline, they will thank you very much for the time of great services and will likely indicate they will seek alternate routes of service. This allows you to immediately subtract these customers from the total asking price, now giving the overtaking Lco the confidence he needs to want to close, he knows you're being straight, nevermind he actually can see the lots in question, with you there.

3) You can probably get 20% fairly easy, maybe 25%, I don't know, but I do think you can get at least 2 months worth, this method about doubles the retention rate, the new Lco will still lose some right off the bat, but having eliminated the factor of surprise will help considerably.

Whether it is worth it to you to make this final step and tie up loose ends while you get paid dang near double $ for the same customers, or if you're to that point where you just want to call it quits and sayonara, I still believe it is a point worth considering.

Peace out, and good luck
  3. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

some body i know tried to sell his for 3 months gross, didnt get it but he got about 2 1/2 months gross. id never pay that, maybe a month and a half depending on the gross profit
  4. CentralOH

CentralOH LawnSite Member

I would be interested in discussing this with you. Is there a way I can contact you?
  5. grassguy01

Hey CENTRALOH...I would like to talk to you. How do I get ahold of you?
    Hope you get this.
  6. CentralOH

CentralOH LawnSite Member

I sent an email with my contact information. Give me a call when you get a chance (up til midnight is OK). If you did not get the email, reply to this post.

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

How may accounts and what part of central ohio are you servicing. I might be interested in it as well.

8. grassguy01

If you want to get ahold of me, let me know and I can answer any questions you have.