How do I sell my business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HandleyLandscaping, Mar 28, 2006.

1. HandleyLandscaping

HandleyLandscaping LawnSite Member

Whay is the going rate for Landscaping maintenance jobs? I heard 3 times the monthly fee. Is it more, or less?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why is that, it makes no sense? You mean to tell me that years in business, # of clients, # of employees, diversity of services, total revenue, net profit, equipment value, value of land/property, etc., etc., etc. don't play into the equation?

Remind me not to call you in a couple of years when I sell out.:nono:

3. HandleyLandscaping

HandleyLandscaping LawnSite Member

I'm only selling the jobs. Not equipment, etc.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

3 months of revenue is what I have payed for the 3 companies we aquaried. Owner financing helps to!

5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

you might (most likely will) be very disappointed

years in business? might have a value to you...but not a buyer

# clients ...means nothing. I could run an ad tomorrow advertising "free lawn care" and have many many clients...that are worth nothing to a buyer

# employees...again a value to you...not a prospective buyer. chances are many of your employees will be let go anyway

equipment value...used equipment = very little value to a buyer

land/real estate...sell it seperatley for the biggest return

net profit is your only real value to a prospective buyer

just my opinions

6. rodfather

I'm glad, cause you are sorely mistaken

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

rod- You are right. If i sold my 25 year old co. With net return of over 80,000 per year. The price would be 3 times gross sales.

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a good one!!!!! Lets say you were netting 20%, that means you were grossing 400k. You really expect some knuckle head to pay you 1.2million for your company???

9. rodfather

I find it a shame that too many members here think and talk like a "lawn boy" instead of business owners...perhaps I need a change of scenery. Or perhaps some don't understand the difference between buying accounts and buying a true turnkey op.

10. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

3 1/2 times the per works for us