How do I sharpen Hedgetrimmers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clayton800, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a tool or method to sharpen hedgetrimmer blades??

Thanks

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

A file maybe?

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a Dremel, or similar small rotary grinder. Dremel works great for me, don't even have to take blades off.

4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Both of my shops do it one charges me their $65 an hour to do it by hand the other sends it out to a sharpening service for $12.
    Tough decision for which one to use. best bet is to ask around. too time consuming to do it with a file.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

A neighbor of mine sugested a Dremel Tool. I had a old hedge trimmer and tried it out. It worked perfect. Then I used the dremel for my stihl hedge trimmers.. Works like a dream.It is easy to follow the angle of the blade with it.:D

6. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

dremel tool is good to use.....if i aint mistaken, either dremel or dewalt has a tool that has a guide so that u keep the same angles on all blades

7. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

also, another tip is to spray a lil wd-40 or some kinda lubricant on the blades before you use them.....this helps to keep blades sharper longer.......we used to do it to the shears we used on horses......also ,spray after u use em so that while they are sitting, they dont rust up

8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

i use a 4 1/2 grinder. Quick with good results. To lubricate the blades use horticultural spray oil. Its not toxic to the leaves and won't leave brown leaves like motor oil or wd40 would.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

what works for me ,is my 12 volt chainsaw sharpener .one sharpening uses one stone, unless u have let it get too dull. about 25 dollars at lowes .
    cheaper on the ebay.