1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I smoothout a horse field to make it mowable?

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by kb9nvh, Jun 10, 2009.

1. kb9nvh

kb9nvh LawnSite Senior Member

I let my last renters have 3 horses in the back part of my property with the agreement that she would smooth it out after she moves out to get it back to mow-able condition again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? yard-box and small tractor, or just maybe a roller???

Todd Snyder
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Cat skid steer with a Harley rake on the front end.
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sometimes they will just settle on their own depending on the condition they are in. Best way is to hit it with a harly rake. You don't have to be perfect with it just one pass and a second pass perpendicular to that. And just toss some seed on it. Don't get carried away and treat it like a new lawn install, grass will come right back in there your just trying to smooth it out.

Another way is rent a large roller and wait for a heavy rain and just make a few passes. You don't have to worry about compaction it will be fine.

All this is assuming this is more of a paddock than a lawn.
  4. kb9nvh

5. kb9nvh

Its always been a rough backyard but mowable...I let the girl put horses there and well, Its a little bit rougher than I anticipated..LOL

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have horses and lots of them..... top dress and drag a length of chain link fencing to grade it out that is how we maintain our rideing and dressage rings.
  7. kb9nvh

top dress...Is that just using a blade then?

8. RD 12

RD 12 LawnSite Member

If you have use of a tractor I would disk it up then drag it with a chain link fence or something heavy. I do this to my pastures every year. I'm not talking about a heavy turn over, just a good scratch.
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

No, top dressing is adding additional soil to the uneven areas and dragging a chain link over it to create a more uniform grade to tolerate mowing. This is probably the least expensive way,
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You could also use a landscaping rake, bit more time consuming.