How do I sow bermuda?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnshark, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants our company to sow bermuda in his back yard because his neighbors' yards with bermuda are growing into his yard with fescue. I have never sowed bermuda and I don't know if you seed or sprig. This yard is about 2,000 sq.ft. and a slight slope back to a ditch. Is there a way that I could possibly stop the neighbors' grass from coming into his? If so would it be worth it? If you need any more details let me know. Thanks.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I moved this over to here so you can get some answers from installers.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of grass does your customer have now? Yes you can sow bermuda....however only common, not hybrid. You could keep the neighbors bermuda from encroaching on you customers property by spraying with Fusilade II. It will be a life-long battle though. Bermuda is a fairly persistent little plant. If it were me I would try to sell the install of some nice raised planting beds between the properties. Then a monthly contract to care for the turf grass and beds. Hope this helps.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Avery. Definitely go for the install. it would add a nice touch to his yard, I'll wager. ;)

5. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys! Thanks Eric for moving the post, too. I don't think the install would be the way to go for this yard. It would look like Landscaping Disney World. This lot is about a 100th of an acre it seems like. I think the Bermuda grass is the way to go. There is Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue prodominant in the back yard so how would you sow the bermuda? Can you just buy the seed at the CO-OP? Thanks again for all of the input.