1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do i spray this stuff?!?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by jimbowimbo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jimbowimbo

jimbowimbo LawnSite Member

Ok so now I have some compost tea how exactly do I apply it. I heard you need to drench the soil but all I have access to is a tank sprayer or a hose with one of those sprayers to put on the end. Either way, it takes a long time to put in the soil.

If it doesn't get to the soil and only wets the blades of the grass, is this defeating the purpose?what other ways are there to apply compost tea (without a huge expensive sprayer)?
  2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you're ONLY doing really "small scale" applications like I do... with (less than 220 micron size) endomycorrhizal fungi sprayed onto new seed jobs, and renovation / aeration / topdressing jobs as well...

... then I suggest that you go out and get a "Solo" DIAPHRAM -style 4 gallon sprayer for what you'll need to do.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Hudson makes an electric 4 gallon backpack sprayer for around $130.

You will find your time on site will improve dramatically with an electric hose reel. Use a 55 gallon drum and a simple 12V pump with an electric hose reel

Application rates should be 2 Gallons per 1000 minimum, less is fine, more is better

You can't do it wrong you can just do it better
  4. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Wow, only 2 gallons/1000 ft? That would hardly reach the soil surface.

If the grass only gets soaked by the stuff does it still effective? In that case which is better, soil drench or foliar spray on the grass? (I know this is a broad questioin)
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So applying with a 4 gallon sprayer is concentrate?

A hose end sprayer is going to dilute to the tea before it hits the lawn. Roughly 25 ozs. of concentrate in the hose end should cover only 100 sq.ft.
    Is that true?

How about a 2 gallon carry about pumpup sprayer? Should it be used to cover 1k of lawn? Does the concentrate need to be 'watered in' to the soil?

I think a bunch of us novices could use a "for best results promo" right now. :)
    thanks for any help.
  6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I also had, in my case, a very difficult time with this

Water is just a carrier for the microorganisms, put it down at 2 gallons per 1000 or 10 gallons per 1000 it does not matter period

2 gallons per 1000 is about the minimum but certaintly exceptable

spray til drip, an arborists term is what I tell people
  7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok this is just field talk, not a test in this whole description.

water to cover 1 acre = 200 gallons / tea to cover 1 acre 10 gallons. now on hot days or in the middle of the day, run the sprinklers. ok no irrigation triple the water so 600 gallons per acre with 10 gallons tea. smaller yards. more care needed more tea and more water= 200 +10 per 20000 sqft. that's 20 gallons of tea per acre+- a foot or 2. and if there is a problem or a start up yard 50 tea + 200 water.

this is just a guide, not a fact of science or testing, only what we see day to day.hope it helps.

11 gpm it does not take to long to burn up 250 gallons
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I can get away with using such a small volume of water with the 4 gal Solo diaphram backpack, because I'm spraying the mycorr spores directly ONTO the soil...
    Again...directly onto prepared NEW seed beds, as well as spraying the exposed root systems of extremely heavily-aerated soil...especially just before a nice compost topdressing to act as food, and a 'nurse' for the spores, until they can get fully established onto the turf's root system as a whole.
  9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

marcos, the well prepaired seed beds, AG or turf?? what are you doing, that sound like some really nice prep and tilling.

i only ask because sod costs are out of hand and we are contemplating some seeds for one new lawn. does it have to be like a garden prep wise???
  10. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I know there isn't a way to mess tea up I was just looking for the best possible way for it to work for me in my situation, I ask questions more less to find the boundries of everything to better understand how it all works.