How do I stop poolside erosion?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Port City Lawncare, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

The lawn is nice and full except for one spot located directly under a small oak. The shade factor is really bad. I was thinking of filling it with topsoil, then placing brown gravel and junipers. Is the erosion going to continue once I've placed some ground cover down?

2. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

can you get some pictures, maybe?

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Junipers hate shade almost as much as grass does. Consider planting shade-loving shrubs or groundcovers. Also, Oaks are very efficient at taking up water so they are strong competition for small plants such as grass. A dry,shade-loving groundcover is Lamium. If you have adequate moisture, many others will do well including Leucothoe, Hostas, Nandina, Vinca Minor, Liriope, Hellebores, English Weeping Yews, Microbiota and bunches of perennials.

4. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks Lanelle. We've decided to reduce the canopy from the Oak in the NEIGHBORS yard. Hopefully once this is done we can go and resod the area w/out bringing in rocks to seperate the yard around the pool.

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Problem with canopy reduction is, is it only temporary. That tree is bound and determined to get a certain size. I usually recommend what Lanelle said. Ground cover can expand to fit the growing shade spot.

Bryan