How do install this fixture and hide the wire?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jlouki01, Mar 7, 2007.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

How do install this fixture and hide the wire?

Do you use a long spade and drill at 30 degree angle down through the post to get the wire to exit as close to the bottom as possible then silicone the exit hole?

4250.jpg

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

There are a couple of ways to do this. The easiest would be to rout the back of the 4x4 or a 1x4. Run the wire in the groove and then cap it with the 1x4. The other way is to drill the 4x4 at a 45 downward. On the back side, drill it again, entering the 4x4 in the same hole as the first hole. Repeat these steps all the way down the post. Once the wire is threaded down the post, fill the holes with some wood putty and stain to match.

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that second way seems like a 'hole' lot of work... I would think pretty detromental (try spelling that!) to the look of the wood... I dunno... the cap seems a better alternative to me

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

we have only dont a hand ful of decks... the carey technique which is zig zaged holes in my opinion should only be used on a deck with fairly fresh stain providing there is left over stain and a wood putty thats stainable or one that contains real wood.

I have seen too many installs with the wire drilled straight thru then stapled down the back of the post.

As paul stated the routed out method is nice and you can paint the trim piece you install as an accent or stain to match or use raw pressure treated wood if the deck is contructed of that.

Somewhere i saw predone pieces... unique or clarolux or someone had it. Cant rememeber who off hand.

I will try and get some pics of one we careyed in and restained after a light sanding... I doubt you could see it if you did not know but keep in mind the chances of splintering the post is much higher as well vs pauls router method... this is why deck lights should be charged at a higher rate. Very labor intensive